Oldest House Circa 1646 Barrio De Analco Historic District 215 E. De Vargas St. Santa Fe. NM  87501 505-988-2488 inquiry@oldesthousesantafe.com Open 9:00 am - 6:00 pm every day
Native American Jewelry and Southwestern Gifts
Timeless Treasures in an atmosphere where the past lives on…
HOME
De Vargas Street House  “The Oldest House
De Vargas Street House located at 215 E. De Vargas Street on the eastern side of Old Santa Fe Trail in Santa Fe, New Mexico within the Barrio De Analco Historic District, is one of the oldest buildings in America. The Oldest House rests on part of the foundation of an ancient Indian Pueblo dating from around 1200 CE.  This pueblo was once inhabited by a tribe from the Tano speaking tribes of the northern part of the territory.  Sometime around 1435 CE, this tribe abandoned their village, moving on to other sites farther south in search of water, better fields or hunting grounds.  In 1598, Don Juan de Onate led a party of Spanish settlers into the area in search of a suitable place to establish a permanent settlement.  Accompanying Onate were Tlaxcalan Indian warrior auxiliaries.  The small band seems to have gravitated to their own ward, or barrio, soon known as El Barrio de Analco at the same time La Villa Real de Santa Fe de San Francisco de Asisi was founded in 1608.. The Tlaxcalans found the river site met their every need.  The river provided ample water for irrigation of cornfields to the south ot the San Miguel Church and an abundance of sweet tasting stream trout to grace their tables. During the Great Pueblo Rebellion, the Indians of the Barrio de Analco suffered greatly.  Their homes were sacked and burned with a heavy loss of life.  The survivors retreated across the river and joined the Spaniards in a spirited but successful defense of the Villa.  The Spanish withdrew from the Villa with the Tlaxcalans.  Only a few of the first Tlaxcalans are believed to have returned to Santa Fe after the reconquest by Don Diego de Vargas in 1692-1693. Between 1709-1710 the “Oldest House” became temporary residence to Spanish Territorial Governor Chacon Medina Salazar, Marquez de Penuela, while repairs were being made to the San Miguel Church. By the late 1800s, genizaros or acculturated plains Indians such as the Apaches and Navajos, as well as the families of Spanish soldiers were living in the Barrio.  Up until the 1920s the Oldest House was continually occupied by people representing all the cultures of Santa Fe.
HOME
Oldest House Circa 1646 Barrio De Analco Historic District 215 E. De Vargas St. Santa Fe. NM  87501 505-988-2488 inquiry@oldesthousesantafe.com Open 9:00 am - 6:00 pm every day
Native American Jewelry and Southwestern Gifts
Timeless Treasures in an atmosphere where the past lives on…
Copyright Oldest House Santa Fe 2016
De Vargas Street House  “The Oldest House
De   Vargas   Street   House   located   at   215   E.   De   Vargas   Street   on   the   eastern side   of   Old   Santa   Fe Trail   in   Santa   Fe,   New   Mexico   within   the   Barrio   De Analco Historic District , is one of the oldest buildings in America. The   Oldest   House   rests   on   part   of   the   foundation   of   an   ancient   Indian   Pueblo dating   from   around   1200   CE.      This   pueblo   was   once   inhabited   by   a   tribe   from the   Tano   speaking   tribes   of   the   northern   part   of   the   territory.      Sometime   around 1435   CE,   this   tribe   abandoned   their   village,   moving   on   to   other   sites   farther south   in   search   of   water,   better   fields   or   hunting   grounds.      In   1598,   Don   Juan de   Onate   led   a   party   of   Spanish   settlers   into   the   area   in   search   of   a   suitable place    to    establish    a    permanent    settltment.        Accompanying    Onate    were Tlaxcalan   Indian   warrior   auxiliaries.      The   small   band   seems   to   have   gravitated to   their   own   ward,   or   barrio,soon   known   as   El   Barrio   de   Analco   at   the   same time   La   Villa   Real   de   Santa   Fe   de   San   Francisco   de   Asisi   was   founded   in 1608.. The   Tlaxcalans   found   the   river   site   met   their   every   need.      The   river   provided ample   water   for   irrigation   of   cornfields   to   the   south   ot   the   San   Miguel   Church and an abundance of sweet tating stream trout to grace their tables. During   the   Great   Pueblo   Rebellion,   the   Indians   of   the   Barrio   de Analco   suffered greatly.      Their   homes   were   sacked   and   burned   with   a   heavy   loss   of   life.      The survivors   retreated   across   the   river   and   joined   the   Spaniards   in   a   spirited   but successful   defense   of   the   Villa.      The   Spanish   withdrew   from   the   Villa   with   the Tlaxcalans.      only   a   few   or   the   first   Tlaxcalans   are   believed   to   have   returned   to Santa Fe after the reconquest by Don Diego de Vargas in 1692-1693. Between    1709-1710    the    “Oldest    House”    became    temporary    residence    to Spanish   Territorial   Governor   Chacon   Medina   Salazar,   Marquez   de   Penuela, while repairs were being made to the San Miguel Church. By    the    late    1800s,    genizaros    or    acculturated    plains    Indians    such    as    the apaches   and   Navajos,   as   well   as   the   families   of   Spanish   soldiers   were   living   in the   Barrio.      Up   until   the   1920s   the   Oldest   House   was   continually   occupied   by people representing all the cultures of Santa Fe.